Manhole Smoke Over Astor Place

manholeAlberto Reyes

Fire in the hole!

Smoke poured out of a manhole at St. Marks Place and Third Avenue this morning.

The condition was noticed shortly before 11 a.m., according to a ConEd spokesperson who cited a failure of underground equipment. No one was injured, he said.

On Twitter, one person reported seeing fireballs. ConEd said the smoke was likely from smouldering equipment rather than from a fire.

M101, M102 and M103 buses were rerouted while the fire department and ConEd investigated the incident.