Con Ed Worker Stricken By Fumes

ConEd workers fix gas lineIan Duncan The site of the incident on 11th Street.

A Con Ed worker was treated by paramedics this afternoon after inhaling gas from a broken line, the authorities said. The incident occurred outside a seven-story residential building on 11th Street between Avenues A and B.

The Fire Department evacuated the building, according to staffers with the office of emergency management who were at the scene.

A private contractor was working on the line when it started to leak. But Con Ed is responsible for responding to emergencies of this kind.

The area was closed to vehicle traffic but open to pedestrians at 3:20 p.m. At 3:33 p.m., an ambulance was still parked on the street. The injured Con Ed worker was inside. He emerged from the front seat of the ambulance unaided, clutching his heavy blue work jacket and a half-empty bottle of orange Gatorade.

This post has been changed to correct an error; an earlier version misstated the site of the leak.