Extension Cord Cited In Fire

A small fire on East 10th Street this morning was sparked by an extension cord that melted after being wrapped around a radiator in a fifth floor apartment, the authorities said. “Luckily, the tenant was home,” said John Bley, the chief of Division 1, adding that the fire could have been much worse had the resident not been there to report it right away. No one was injured in the fire at 215 East 10th, which was reported at 8:46 this morning; the fire was declared under control at 9:17.—Timothy J. Stenovec